Subject: Re: serial consoel questions
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/19/2002 13:18:19
[ On Monday, August 19, 2002 at 18:23:40 (+0300), Jukka Marin wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: serial consoel questions
>
> > And is there a software workaround for the 'shutdown PC sends BREAK'
> > problem?
>
> Dunno.. it can be annoying (especially with remote machines).

The hardware "work-around" is simple and fool-proof:

	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2002/05/16/0000.html

A simpler hack might also work in all cases you care about, which is to
just use a 4.7k Ohm resistor between pin 3 and some -vdc supply, such as
pin 25, as documented here:

	http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/770/fn-tsbreak.html

NOTE:  I don't believe the you can prevent the BREAK signal as generated
by the terminal (as it also suggests on that page), unless the
terminal's RS232 line drivers are way out of spec., since that would
mean you'd also be preventing the terminal from generating normal data
bits too (a BREAK is essentially a stretched out bit).  I do know I was
still able to generate BREAK on a Sun-3 with such a resistor in place
and using my original DEC VT100, but I've not tested a more modern
terminal or on a sparcstation.

--
								Greg A. Woods