Subject: Re: DNS Assistance Request
To: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/17/2002 22:07:55
[ On Saturday, August 17, 2002 at 11:12:38 (-0700), Bruce Lane wrote: ]
> Subject: DNS Assistance Request
>
> Fellow SPARClers, ;-)

hmmm.., but this is a netbsd-users question, at best...  :-)

> 	Earlier this morning, I tried to load a new master zone for a
> 	virtual domain I'm going to host. The server loaded all my
> 	regular zones (bluefeathertech.com, .org, and .net) with no
> 	problem at all, but it wouldn't even recognize the existence of
> 	the zone file for the new domain (sixflagssucks.com). There was
> 	no mention of it in /var/log/messages, and no apparent error
> 	messages, but the other three zone files were all mentioned as
> 	having loaded successfully.

Almost inevitably that means there's a syntax error or similar in the
zone file that didn't load.

BIND doesn't log enough stuff to the right places to always make all
errors visible.

First you really need a "*.*" /etc/syslog.conf entry so that _all_
messages go to one file.  I normally call the target file
/var/log/debug.  You have to make sure to add an entry to
/etc/newsyslog.conf too -- such a file will grow faster than
/var/log/messages.

Second you may need to make your BIND logging more robust.  Here's what
I use (from /etc/newsyslog.conf):

# don't log successful zone loads if you have many (they clog /dev/log)...
#
logging {
	channel debug_syslog {
	        syslog daemon;
	        severity debug;
	};
	channel notice_syslog {
	        syslog daemon;
	        severity notice;
	};
	channel warning_syslog {
	        syslog daemon;
	        severity warning;
	};
	channel error_syslog {
	        syslog daemon;
	        severity error;
	};

	category default { default_syslog; default_debug; };
	category os { debug_syslog; };
	category parser { debug_syslog; };
	category load { notice_syslog; };
	category config { debug_syslog; };
	category security { warning_syslog; };
	category panic { default_syslog; default_stderr; };
	category packet { default_debug; };
	category eventlib { default_debug; };
};

--