Subject: Advice for rebuilding a stripped SS10(?) clone
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/16/2002 21:53:02
I recently aquired a stripped "Integrex SMB20E" which appears to
be a SS10 clone, although it could be a SS20 I guess. (I haven't
seen the inside of a 10, and I only saw the inside of a 20 once or
twice in the summer of 1999.)

Anyway, this machine has a PROM version 2.22.1H and a 50pin SCSI
ribbon connector to where the drive(s) used to be. (I guess that
would make it a 10, since I know the 20 used SCA drives, so it
would need a wider or secondary cable for the extra SCSI lines.)

So any recommendations on locations and reasonable prices to fill
the thing out?  I'm guessing I need at least 2 SIMMs and an MBUS
module to power it up.  I think I can get a hard disk and CD from
my junk box, or buy a new one.  Eventually, I'd like it to be my
main machine and turn the LX I'm currently using into the home
gateway / router / firewall.  That would mean some video as well.

If someone has an easy loaner, I'd just use it to test the board
out and return it when I get the permanent parts.  (And that would
probably push me into getting them faster too. 8^)  And while I'm
thinking about it, anyone have a couple of pairs of 16MB SIMMs for
a SSLX?  (A sure fire way to tell if it's a SS10 or SS20 would be
nice too.  I'm just guessing at the moment.)

Oh, and one last question.  Can I take a floppy out of an old Apple
MacII, IIci, or 6100/66 and put it in the SS clone?

Jon