Subject: Re: Rehash: XFree86 Compiled on NetBSD/Sparc
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/13/2002 16:53:44
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 @ 1:23pm (-0400), Greg A. Woods wrote:

GAW> [ On Tuesday, August 13, 2002 at 01:28:41 (-0400), Brian A. Seklecki wrote: ]
GAW> > Subject: Rehash: XFree86 Compiled on NetBSD/Sparc
GAW> >
GAW> > What's to keep the NetBSD/sparc people from working with the XFree86 folks to
GAW> > get the X4 sun* modules from working?  It would be nice to standardize X servers.
GAW>
GAW> Why?

... perhaps I'm making an illogical assumption here.  My concern is that XFree86
is under active development in the standard open-source method (mailing
lists, CVS access, etc.) whereas X.org's release is at an almost stand-still.
I can't speak from an architecture engineering standpoint, but it seems
logical that coordinating development w/ XFree would be more constructive.
In the 3 weeks since I subscribed to Xfree mailing lists, I've seen at least
a dozen imports/sync's (1) from Free/Net/OpenBSD cvs trees:

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

1.