Subject: re: setting up raid
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Norm <norm@sandbox.org.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/31/2002 17:48:50
> netbsd/sparc doesn't boot from raid easily.  what one can do instead
> is use a small /boot partition that has /netbsd and /boot in it only
> (/netbsd & /ofwboot for sparc64 machines.)  the /netbsd is compiled
> with options RAID_AUTOCONFIG ...

Yep, that worked a treat, thanks!  :)

> one other hack i've thought of recently is to use two sun disk label
> components, with one (lets call it 'h') properly aligned, starting at
> cylinder 1, and the other (lets call it 'a') 64 (RF_PROTECTED_SECTORS)
> earlier, leaving the rest of cylinder 0 "wasted".  then, we configure
> the raid on the 'a' partition but tell the prom to boot from the 'h'
> partition.  but this is completely untested...

I gave that a quick try, and disklabel wouldn't let me write a partition
that wasn't on a cylinder boundary.  I gave up rather quickly and used
the first method instead, because I wanted to get the box up and running.
I have another box, and will probably try it again soon.

             "If you wanna find me, I'll be out in the sandbox..."
                                                  Barenaked Ladies