Subject: Re: UBC problem with no swap
To: Ben Cottrell <tamino@wolfhut.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/27/2002 14:04:34
On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Ben Cottrell wrote:

# The messages from cdrecord (may be in the wrong order; my script
# tends to get stdout and stderr interleaved in strange ways) are:
#
# /usr/pkg/bin/cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
# /usr/pkg/bin/cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
# /usr/pkg/bin/cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. Cannot get mmap for 4198400 Bytes on /dev/zero.

[no, that looks like what I used to get...]

# Shouldn't some of that big fat 119 meg buffer cache be getting pushed
# out for a process that wants memory?

# Or is this a known problem that's been fixed since the snapshot I
# have?
#

Are you running as root?

Did you unlimit your resource usage?

By the way, I allocate more like 8M for burning CDs, just to be on
the comfortable side of life (I have an SS5 with 192MB; used to have 64,
and 8MB was wired for cdrecord.  It made coasters much less likely unless
I overcommitted the space vs. the CD).

# Thanks,
#
# 	~Ben

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: it'll be there when you're ready for it.