Subject: Enabling xconsole
To: Sparc List @ NetBSD.org <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: beaker <beaker@freeshell.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/20/2002 01:46:08
Someone previously posted regarding elliminating syslog messages
displaying in their X session. The suggested solution (at least one
of)was to use 'xconsole' to capture the messages before they messed up the
X session. I've found I'm not able to run xconsole as a regular user (it
opens and displays "Couldn't open console") but it works fine when strated
as root/superuser. My file permissions & group info are shown below:

crw-------  1 beaker  tty     0, 0 Jul 19 18:23 /dev/console
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root    wheel  13104 Aug 23  2001 /usr/X11R6/bin/xconsole

wheel:*:0:root,beaker,uucp
tty:*:4:root

Is there something I need to change here? I tried adding myself to tty
and/or doing 'chmod u+x /dev/console' but neither solved the problem. BTW,
I've tried starting xconsole with -file /dev/console but it didn't help
either.

Beaker
beaker@freeshell.org

SDF/Freeshell.org - Public Access UNIX System - since 1987