Subject: Re: misc questions
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/16/2002 09:43:40
On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, David Laight wrote:

> > 	An hme in a sparc5 here gets around 21Mbit/s as opposed to 7Mbit/s
> > 	on the built in le. Not stunning, but definitely helpful. Has been
> > 	rock solid.
>
> Is the hme for 'feps'?
> I'm not sure of the cpu speed of a sparc5, but both those figures
> seem a little low.

	This is a sparc5/170, so at the top end of the sparc5 range.

> What were you useing to measure the throughput.
> Using ftp to transfer a large sparse file to /dev/null usually gives
> a high throughput - and ignores the disks.

	ttcp through to a tulip card in an alpha.

> ISTR getting almost line rate at 10M from Mbus + Sbus based sparc
> systems with quite slow cpu's and the lance chipset.
> The feps driver was significantly faster because it didn't need
> to take every end-of-tx interrupt.
> (NB this wasn't under solaris or any BSD)

	This is via a netgear 10/100 switch, and I can't easily perform
	the tests while the machines are idle, so the numbers would
	probably be a _little_ higher...

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --