Subject: Re: [help] how to spin down sca hdds in SS5
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/16/2002 01:46:12
Hi,

On 15 Jul 2002 at 11:04, Jack Lloyd wrote:
> I haven't been able to find anything on how to do it (and I can't just
> turn of the disk because there's only one). My problem isn't heat (my
> SS5 ran for over a year perfectly solid), but noise. The single SCA
> disk in there is louder than the whole of my Athlon (which has 3 or 4
> large fans, two hard drives, etc). I finally turned it off because,
> even stuck in my closet, the racket was driving me nuts.

I guess that depends on the disks. Most of the disks I use are
comparable silent. I use several IBM SCSI drives and they can
hardly be heard, even in a powermac (that is one of the most
quiet machines I have). Then I have several Seagate Barracudas
(ST15150w) that are real screamers, and like the IBM drives
they are 7200 U/min disks.

mike