Subject: Re: Mozilla@sparc?
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/13/2002 01:03:33
...mozilla 1.0 runs great on my SS LX w/ 96 meg RAM.  Not a single
problem.  Current as of a few days ago.  I'm not running a local X, using
my 486 laptop instead.

Did you try to ktruss or ktrace the mozilla process?

-lava

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 @ 11:02am (+0200), Hauke Fath wrote:

HF> At 16:52 Uhr -0400 24.6.2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:
HF> >[ On Monday, June 24, 2002 at 22:02:51 (+0200), Hauke Fath wrote: ]
HF> >I'm assuming you're using /bin/sh or /bin/ksh and that you got that
HF> >number with "echo $?"....
HF> >
HF> >... in which case it might be an errno number: 11 == EDEADLK.
HF>
HF> tcsh and ${status}.
HF>
HF> >> ?? The browser is the default. I can start the mail client 'only', and it
HF> >> stays up. I can even start the Profile Manager, switch to offline mode, and
HF> >> the browser stays up. Then, I can switch back to online mode and surf
HF> >> (Apple, IBM, Netscape, even SAP) as long as I stay off of mozilla.org. Of
HF> >> all sites, that brings the lizard down.  =8|
HF> >
HF> >Where's your home directory mounted?
HF>
HF> Locally (ffs). I toyed around with amd a while back, but my understanding
HF> of the docs and amd's actual behaviour differed too much.
HF>
HF> >Have you used Mozilla with the same profile on an i386 machine?
HF>
HF> No i386 here but a decommissioned '486. No match for the lizard. Though
HF> maybe I shouldn't say that - I've built Mozilla 0.8.2 on a Macintosh Quadra
HF> 700. Comes up, eventually.  ;)
HF>
HF> >Have you tried creating a fresh new profile on the sparc?
HF>
HF> Yep.
HF>
HF> >(I found that with 0.9.x I couldn't share profiles safely between sparc
HF> >and i386....)
HF>
HF> Endianness? 'All the world's an i386'?
HF>
HF> >> Works in devel/ddd on the X server machine; works in XEmacs on the ss10.
HF> >> Does not work in Ethereal on the ss10. Does Mozilla use GTK? That might be
HF> >> a pattern...
HF> >
HF> >I don't know about GTK being the cause, but the pattern fits that far anyway:
HF> >
HF> >Information for mozilla-1.0:
HF> >[...]
HF> >gtk+>=1.2.8
HF> >
HF> >Information for ethereal-0.9.4:
HF> >[...]
HF> >gtk+>=1.2.8
HF>
HF> Mhm. I shall try that at work on i386 (pretty solid Mozilla 0.9.9
HF> installation there).
HF>
HF> 	hauke
HF>
HF>
HF> --
HF> /~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign       "They that can give up essential liberty
HF> \ /    No HTML/RTF in email          to obtain a little temporary safety
HF>  X     No Word docs in email         deserve neither liberty nor safety."
HF> / \  Respect for open standards                    -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973

"Microsoft Windoze: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."