Subject: Re: 20020627 -current snapshot available
To: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/06/2002 09:06:03
On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 @ 10:37pm (+1000), grant beattie wrote:

gb> On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 07:26:27AM -0400, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
gb>
gb> > ...I installed this on my LX.  Had to netboot from my laptop, ran into
gb> > problems with the diskette images.
gb>
gb> Unfortunately I don't have any sparc boxes with a floppy drive, so I
gb> can only test miniroot and netbooting.
gb>
gb> What problems were you having?
gb>

Bad Magic errors.  More testing revealed that my drive may have gone bad
since i last used it, or it may require a cleaning.

 .. Floppy drives in sparcs tend to go bad.

I was getting 'out of inode' errors when i used miniroot DD'd to my swap
partition.  Didn't get a chance to debug it, got impatient. instfs.tgz and
boot.net w/ rarpd/tftpd/bootparamd/nfsd worked fine, I just hate setting
all that up on boxes w/ public IPs.

gb>
gb> > I noticed, as usual w/ -current snapshots, that the X packages were not
gb> > included.  Shall I use the 1.5.x series tarballs? Has anything really
gb> > changed at all in xsrc related to sparc?
gb> >
gb> > I'll checkout a fresh copy of 'xsrc' and see what's up, never had to do
gb> > that before.
gb>
gb> I'm not sure if X sets from 1.5 would work,

They seem to be working.  I mounted my old disk w/ /usr/X11R6 from 1.5.x
on it, and pkgsrc seems to be working fine linking against it.  Havn't
tried firing up an X server yet, though.

gb> but I'll try to put up a
gb> snapshot with X shortly.
gb>

I checked out the latest xsrc.  I see basically a copy of XF86 4.2.0 and
copy of MIT X11R6 (which includes a copy of XF86 from late 96?).  It looks
like all the platform stuff is done in xsrc/xc/programs/Xserver/Imakefile,
with the obvious USE_XF86_4 in the root.  Some of this stuff hasn't been
touched since `97.

Interesting...

-lava

gb>
gb>
gb> g.
gb>

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973

"From listening comes wisdom and from speaking repentance."