Subject: Re: illegal instruction using -mcpu=supersparc for kernel
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/14/2002 12:02:20
On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 03:00:31PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> According to the consensus in multiple discussions of this matter,
> the turbo and micro do respond well to -mcpu=supersparc.

which confuses that crap outta me. ;)

> When I did some quick testing with openssl, I got better performance
> using -mcpu=supersparc rather than -mv8 alone.  But there was nothing
> scientific about my tests since -mv8 was such a drastic benefit alone.
>
> In any case, it seems the problem is the toolchain and upgrading needs to
> happen.
>
> Cross-compiling on my faster workstation sounds interesting.  I really
> hate to upgrade a stable 1.5.2 server pair, but maybe 1.6 will be
> compelling enough to make it happen.

so what would be a good set of test to run to check the difference in speed?
my sparc5 is kinda busy at the moment, but i may be able to dig up another on
for testing.  i'd like to be able to slap some conclusive evidence in the
NetBSD/sparc FAQ if at all possible.

-brian
--
"I mean Twinkies are good but getting shot really hurts."
				-- http://www.thisisatastyburger.com/ --