Subject: Re: Configuring two network cards in SPARCstation 4
To: Alex Buell <alex.buell@munted.org.uk>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/31/2002 17:04:31
On Fri, 31 May 2002, Alex Buell wrote:

> Gah.. I've just spent the last few hours trying to set up a SPARCstation
> with an extra network card. Apaprently with local-mac-address? set to true
> both of them still uses the same MAC addresses.
>
> The extra network card is a be0 device. ifconfig -a shows the following:
>
> [root@sparc4]/root # ifconfig -a
> le0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         address: 08:00:20:7d:a9:06
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT)
>         status: active
>         inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
>         inet6 fe80::a00:20ff:fe7d:a906%le0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
> be0: flags=8822<BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         address: 08:00:20:7d:a9:06
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX half-duplex)
>         status: no carrier
>
> I'm tearing my hair out here, guys. What I wanted to be able to do is to
> attach a cable modem to the be0 card, and use the SPARCstation as a router
> on my private network. I've yet to attach a cable to the be0 card, I don't
> want to risk screwing up my set top box downstairs until I can easily
> configure either of the cards to work.
>

> I tried to switch the network stuff over to the be0 card from the internal
> le0 port, but that didn't work. I suspect its because of the MAC
> addresses.

did you configure the interface either with /etc/ifconfig.be0 and reboot
or with ifconfig?

> How on earth can I make it so that both network cards have separate MAC
> addresses?

not sure on this part.  Though in general it should work.  I have a
similar setup (on mac68k).

If you have fixed IP addresses for both your local net and your cable
modem, just make an /etc/ifconfig.le0 and /etc/ifconfig.be0 file with the
appropriate configs in them.  You probably already have the ifconfig.le0
one.

If you use DHCP on the cable modem side, then you'd do something like,
make a /etc/ifconfig.le0 for your LAN side and in /etc/rc.conf, add:

dhclient=YES
dhclient_flags="be0"

to have be0 get configured via dhcp.

hope this helps