Subject: Re: Configuring two network cards in SPARCstation 4
From: Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc@linuxweasel.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/31/2002 14:01:34
On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 13:33, Alex Buell wrote:
> Gah.. I've just spent the last few hours trying to set up a SPARCstation
> with an extra network card. Apaprently with local-mac-address? set to true
> both of them still uses the same MAC addresses.

That depends on the network card.  Most of the older sbus cards don't
have a mac address on the card.  The BE devices are certainly older.
Both network cards having the same MAC address isn't an issue unless
you're using both of them on the same network segment.  If the machine
will be acting as a router between your local area network and the
Internet, then there's no reason to mess around and change the mac
address.

I'm not a NetBSD guru, but under the Linux kernel, you can specify the
MAC address for a card to use with ifconfig.  I'm sure there's similar
functionality in NetBSD, though it may not be as simple as ifconfig.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.
Please don't copy me on replies to the list.