Subject: Re: pkgsrc and tcsh
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/29/2002 19:31:04
On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 10:48:27AM +0200, Alistair Crooks wrote:

> Just use pkgsrc/shells/standalone-tcsh. It puts tcsh in /bin, and the
> manual pages in /usr/share/man/man1/*. Oh, and it also links tcsh
> statically.

Yep, that's what I have done.  Don't care about the manual pages.

After ten years of doing this, no mightmare scenario has occured, so I
feel pretty safe... :)

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 04:54:53AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:

> The simplest answer that comes to mind is to put it in some other
> directory that's on the root filesystem.  I've seen /lbin and /localbin
> used; I'm sure any of us can imagine lots of other alternatives.

Sure, that is the simplest answer if you have a lot of packages in
this situation.  But I don't see the point for /lbin/tcsh alone.

I have created /lbin in the past for significant numbers of programs
needed when /usr or /usr/local is not online.  On DEC UNIX and SunOS,
I kept a tarball handy for root packages I liked to have, but I think I
called it /l/<dir> since I was often selective about what I pulled off
the tape.

This was basically my root-kit, before that term meant a way to crack
Linux systems.  I don't have need for things like that as much as I did
years ago.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com