Subject: Re: pkgsrc and tcsh
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/28/2002 10:48:27
On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 11:49:00PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 06:19:56PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
>
> > The problem isn't one program in /bin.  The problem is that once you
> > let yourself install one program in one OS-managed directory, there's
> > much less reason not to make it two, then three, and before you know it
> > you can't tell what's what any more.  That's why I said "that way lies
> > madness", not "that is madness".
>
> Well, that's self-discipline.  I have tcsh in /bin, and nothing else.
>
> But sure, it could develop into a habit if you let it.  I tend to think
> people like that will do it anyway.
>
> > I avoid sliding down that slippery slope by refusing to start.
>
> It's not uncommon for me to have /usr/pkg not mounted, and I need the
> shell, so it's in /bin.  I can't think of another way to handle that.
>
> Sometimes it would be useful to have a configuration for packages to
> include overrides for things like this.
>
> I do have to keep track of a lot of exceptions to the package layout,
> but that's what my log book is for.

Just use pkgsrc/shells/standalone-tcsh. It puts tcsh in /bin, and the
manual pages in /usr/share/man/man1/*. Oh, and it also links tcsh
statically.

We considered switches for this, but rejected them, since it was
getting difficult to tell, from the outside of a binary package,
whether it was built for ${LOCALBASE} or /. That's why I made a
separate package.

Regards,
Alistair