Subject: hardware help: SCA drives in SparcStation5
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/27/2002 10:52:35
I picked up a SparcStation 5 (Sun model #544) and 2, 2GB Seagate ST32550WC
drives to put in it.  I've never used "SCA" drives before, and realized
that I don't know how to configure the SCSI IDs.  Could anyone point me
to a very precise "howto" article on installing such drives?  So far all
I've found is "drive IDs are set through the SCA-compatible backplane, and
not by the ID jumpers on the hard drive," but I have no idea what this
means.  TIA.

henry nelson

(I'm assuming NetBSD1.5.3/sparc-sun4m will install smoothly on this machine
from install floppies.  Would appreciate pointers if there are some road
blocks to be expected.  Also, thanks much.)