Subject: Re: JavaStation
To: KiDDiE.Ox <oxo@rucus.ru.ac.za>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/27/2002 04:29:00
On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 22:18:37 +0200, KiDDiE.Ox wrote:

> I have setup and ran rpc.bootparamd -d. Nothing actually asks
> bootparam for anything though *dodgy*

It's the kernel that asks bootparam, and OBP fails to start even
boot.net for you.  So no surprise here.

> marie says after the "Ethernet address " line
>
> The file just loaded does not appear to be executable.
> ok <cursor>

My OBP2 brick is buried in the pile of other stuff, so I can't easily
test it now, but I'm sure other folks with OBP2 bricks can share their
experience (since OBP2 is supported but standard kernel, unlike OFW
ones).

I think OBP 2.30 doesn't require a real a.out/elf executable, so stock
boot.net must work for it.  You can do some PROM-level debugging, but
you'll need serial console for it (see below).

> I also can't type on it with a PS2 keyboard, and I don't have a
> serial console.

You will have to setup a serial console if you want to do anything
with PROM.  OBP2 in these boxes seems to be a direct brain transplant
from SS4, so it claims this box has zs (it doesn't) and it has no idea
about PS/2 keyboard.

Now that 1.6 was branched I'll try to get my kbd/ms changes reviewed
and committed as soon as I have time to.  They add support for
JavaStation1 - both console and Xsun.

SY, Uwe