Subject: Re: hardware help: SCA drives in SparcStation5
To: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Jack Lloyd <lloyd@acm.jhu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/26/2002 21:59:59
On Mon, 27 May 2002, henry nelson wrote:

> So far all I've found is "drive IDs are set through the SCA-compatible
> backplane, and not by the ID jumpers on the hard drive," but I have no
> idea what this means.  TIA.

IIRC, the bottom drive is given a SCSI id of 3 (the default boot id), and
the top drive is given as SCSI id of 1. AFAIK you can't change them; if you
can, it will be by giving commands to the boot prom.

> (I'm assuming NetBSD1.5.3/sparc-sun4m will install smoothly on this machine
> from install floppies.  Would appreciate pointers if there are some road
> blocks to be expected.  Also, thanks much.)

It should be pretty simple. I'm running Linux on my SS5, but there's
nothing too out of the ordinary about the machine itself.

-Jack