Subject: Re: pkgsrc and tcsh
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/26/2002 00:32:13
On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 02:08:39PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:

> "have always gone"?  Whatever happened to "the shell is just another
> program" - one of UNIX's big strengths?

I don't see how this affects that idea at all.

> Build it -static, fine; put it somewhere on the root fs, fine.  But
> stirring it in with a directory from the base system, that way lies
> madness at OS upgrade time.

Madness?  This is pretty trivial, even on dozens of machines.

Outside of shells, I don't worry too much, but as I like to use tcsh for
even maintenance, I install it static on the root.  This is pretty easy
to keep track of.

> Or at least so I've found.  If you can deal with it - perhaps you have
> fewer addons than I do, or perhaps you don't upgrade, or perhaps you
> just have a better head for such things that I - more power to you.

I've always thought you were smart enough to track one program in
/bin man...  :)

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com