Subject: Re: pkgsrc and tcsh
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/25/2002 23:38:37
[ On Saturday, May 25, 2002 at 14:08:39 (-0400), der Mouse wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: pkgsrc and tcsh
>
> Build it -static, fine; put it somewhere on the root fs, fine.  But
> stirring it in with a directory from the base system, that way lies
> madness at OS upgrade time.

it all depends on how you do your upgrades, whether or you use something
like packages to keep track of locally installed programs, and of course
whether or not the new base system includes a conflicting file with the
same name as your shell.  :-)

Personally I prefer to do upgrades by building a whole new machine from
scratch, testing it, and then rolling it into production....  When I
can't do that I usually do a full from-scratch re-install, then
re-install all the new packages, and finally restore user data.  Theres
usually a lot more downtime for the latter procedure though.

--
								Greg A. Woods