Subject: Re: pkgsrc and tcsh
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/25/2002 15:10:56
On Sat, 25 May 2002, der Mouse wrote:

# Build it -static, fine; put it somewhere on the root fs, fine.  But
# stirring it in with a directory from the base system, that way lies
# madness at OS upgrade time.
#
# Or at least so I've found.  If you can deal with it - perhaps you have
# fewer addons than I do, or perhaps you don't upgrade, or perhaps you
# just have a better head for such things that I - more power to you.

Were I to do it that way, it would be an exception to the rule, to be sure.

One of the things about building it static would be that all you would
have to do is to copy it somewhere that DIDN'T get clobbered by an upgrade,
then put it back when finished.

I find that after an upgrade/reinstall, I have to rebuild the pkg world
anyway -- at least I did last time, after things stopped working.  It
was a good thing, though -- it's always good to have up-to-date versions
of the stuff that's there.

There must be a better place to put the pkg db than /var (the same FS
as where pkg lives comes to mind) -- if you reinstall, /var goes pooof
(I usually back up my mail spool but forget about the pkg db).

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: SIMMs Like Good Code.