Subject: Re: pkgsrc and tcsh
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/25/2002 14:08:39
>>> tcsh [...] in /usr/pkg/bin, instead of in /bin, as it should be
>>> normally.
>> Why do you say it should be in /bin ? It's not a part of the base system.
[Which is my own reaction too.]
> That's where shells have always gone, and /usr/pkg might not be
> mounted in all cases where you need the shell.

"have always gone"?  Whatever happened to "the shell is just another
program" - one of UNIX's big strengths?

Build it -static, fine; put it somewhere on the root fs, fine.  But
stirring it in with a directory from the base system, that way lies
madness at OS upgrade time.

Or at least so I've found.  If you can deal with it - perhaps you have
fewer addons than I do, or perhaps you don't upgrade, or perhaps you
just have a better head for such things that I - more power to you.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign