Subject: Re: SS20 network performance, take 2
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/20/2002 20:00:16
| Well, I tried the new kernel with nsphy enabled, and be(4), ukphy
| removed.
| The performance dropped(!) from 2.6 MB/s to 2.27 MB/s. ;(
|
| Here's "systat vm" output halfway through a big transfer:
|
| ---
|     1 user     Load  0.11  0.18  0.20                  Mon May 20
| 22:17:59
|
|           memory totals (in KB)             PAGING   SWAPPING
| Interrupts
|          real   virtual    free             in  out   in  out      2712
| total
| Active   6204      6204   69044     ops                             273
| lev1
| All     24488     24488  404960     pages                             5
| lev4
|
| lev6
| Proc:r  d  s  w       Csw  Trp  Sys  Int  Sof  Flt        forks    2234
| lev7
|      1     2           10        25 2715         1        fkppw     100
| clock
|                                                           fksvm
| lev12
|    0.2% Sy   0.2% Us   0.0% Ni  77.5% In  22.1% Id        pwait     100
| prof
| |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |       relck
| %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%                   rlkok
|                                                           noram
| Namei         Sys-cache     Proc-cache                    ndcpy
|     Calls     hits    %     hits     %                    fltcp
|                                                           zfod
|                                                           cow
| Discs  fd0  sd0                                        64 fmin
| seeks                                                  85 ftarg
| xfers         1                                           itarg
| Kbyte         6                                        43 wired
| %busy       1.0                                           pdfre
| ---

You seem to have 22% idle time left, assuming this snapshot is pretty
accurate overall, so you don't seem to be CPU bound.  So, unless your
test program is single-threaded, where the processor is waiting for
a response across the network, this seems to be limited by the speed
of the ethernet controller.

Eduardo