Subject: Re: strange sbus cards
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/18/2002 13:02:42
>> [...] some SBus cards I didn't recognize.

>> IOtech,sbiti at sbus0 slot 1 offset 0x7000 level 1 not configured

>> Based on googling [...] [t]he IOtech board is probably an IEEE-488
>> interface of some sort.  The back-panel connector is physically
>> compatible with HP-IB cables I have lying around from my hp300
>> machines, reinforcing this theory.

> and IOtech does make HP-IB cards.

Is HP-IB a variant of IEEE-488, or an ancestor, or what?  I know
they're related somehow, but don't know how.  In particular, can a 488
interface drive HP-IB, or vice versa?

> what chipset does the IEEE-488 one use?

In approximate order of decreasing pin count:

- Surface-mount chip of approximately 120 pins, with a boxed LSI as
  logo, labeled with printing
	L64853AQC
	SPARC DMA+
	WK84162
	XXG 9550[*]	<- [*] represents a thing that looks like a
	0A84C8 PE FAA	   capital delta followed by a circle
	HONG KONG	   containing the letters SG.

- 40-pin DIP from NEC, labeled "D7210C" and "9536XD001"

- Socketed chip that looks like an EPROM, physically compatible with a
  27512.  Sticker covers most of it; the sticker has printing from a
  dot-matrix printer saying "SB488" and "Rev.1.2".

- Three socketed 20-pin DIPs, all marked the same with manufacturer
  printing; one is pencil-marked 0, one 1, and the third 2.  The
  manufacturer markings are
	GAL18V10
	20LP
	A608C01

Some miscellanous logic, all soldered to the baord:

- SN74HCT652NT
- SN74LS244N
- SN74HCT244N
- SN75162BN
- SN75160BN
- SN74LS273N

There's also a four-terminal device that I suspect is a clock
generator, marked
	SG531P  C
	16.0000 M
	4372A

There are also three discrete resistors, and fifteen identical-looking
small capacitors which I assume are power decoupling.  On the
non-component side of the board, as part of the foil etch pattern, is
the number 139-4000-04.

> Good luck getting docs from IOtech.

:-(

> I had some IOtech IEEE-488 <-> SCSI bridges but couldn't get any docs
> from them.  The good news though is that many IEEE-488 cards used 1
> of only a few chips.  That would be a way of identifying the card for
> sure.  NEC 7210 and TMS 9914A are 2 common ones.

Looks like the NEC 7210 is it, then. :-)  Now, to figure out how it's
glued to the SBus...and find 7210 docs.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign