Subject: Re: strange sbus cards
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/18/2002 07:58:37
On Fri, 17 May 2002, der Mouse wrote:

> I got some machines recently that were being thrown out.  One of them
> was a SS1, which I would have ignored except that it had some SBus
> cards I didn't recognize.
>
> IOtech,sbiti at sbus0 slot 1 offset 0x7000 level 1 not configured
> ARIEL,S-32C at sbus0 slot 2 offset 0x4000 level 5 not configured
>
> Based on googling for them, I have some guesses:
>
> The IOtech board is probably an IEEE-488 interface of some sort.  The
> back-panel connector is physically compatible with HP-IB cables I have
> lying around from my hp300 machines, reinforcing this theory.

and IOtech does make HP-IB cards.

> Does anyone know enough to confirm or refute these theories?  Or (hey,
> I can dream!) point me at enough docs to actually _do_ anything with
> them?

what chipset does the IEEE-488 one use?  Good luck getting docs from
IOtech.  I had some IOtech IEEE-488 <-> SCSI bridges but couldn't get any
docs from them.  The good news though is that many IEEE-488 cards used 1
of only a few chips.  That would be a way of identifying the card for
sure.  NEC 7210 and TMS 9914A are 2 common ones.

-dan