Subject: Re: NetBSD <-> Solaris 8 disklabel compatibility?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/13/2002 09:37:35
At 18:03 Uhr -0400 12.5.2002, der Mouse wrote:
>> I used sunlabel to adjust the end of the 'c' partition so that
>> it equals that of the 'g' partition (both ending on cylinder
>> boundary).  If this causes a re-write of the entire label, it has
>> made no difference to Solaris.
>
>Yes, it does rewrite the whole label sector.  Even just starting
>sunlabel and telling it S immediately will do that; it does not try to
>be smart about writing labels only when it thinks they've been changed
>or anything - only the Q command pays any attention to dirty bits.  (I
>believe in YAFIYGI.)

Hum. For a clean start, I pulled out an old 250MB Quantum disk, formatted
it under MacOS, erased the first few MB just to be sure and sunlabeled it.
Result: Solaris 8 doesn't accept the label.
Even better: The Solaris 'format' claims the second of the two builtin
disks is labeled, but the first one is not. Both were set up by the Solaris
installer, and the Solaris root is on the first...

>I wonder what it is that's upsetting Solaris.  Could you maybe dd off
>the first 512 bytes of that disk (ie, the label sector) and mail it to
>me?  I'd be interested....
>
>> Mounting a Solaris UFS partition readonly in NetBSD, btw., only got me
>> /mnt: bad dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry
>> '-- ick.'
>
>Ick, indeed.  I wonder how it thought the entry was mangled.

The partition was mounted as 'logging' in Solaris, but according to 'man
mount_ufs' this should not make a difference after umount...

Does NetBSD claim to be able to access Solaris ufs filesystems? I.e.,
should I send-pr?

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign       "They that can give up essential liberty
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email          to obtain a little temporary safety