Subject: Re: NetBSD <-> Solaris 8 disklabel compatibility?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/12/2002 18:03:15
>>> Can the tools also re-write an existing NetBSD disklabel so that it
>>> becomes acceptable to Solaris without losing the NetBSD
>>> functionality?
>> Only in some cases, at best - we don't know what it is about the
>> NetBSD label that's upsetting Solaris.  [...]  If that is what's
>> making Solaris unhappy, then reading the label with sunlable and
>> writing it back will fix it because it will clear that spare space.
> Mhm.  I used sunlabel to adjust the end of the 'c' partition so that
> it equals that of the 'g' partition (both ending on cylinder
> boundary).  If this causes a re-write of the entire label, it has
> made no difference to Solaris.

Yes, it does rewrite the whole label sector.  Even just starting
sunlabel and telling it S immediately will do that; it does not try to
be smart about writing labels only when it thinks they've been changed
or anything - only the Q command pays any attention to dirty bits.  (I
believe in YAFIYGI.)

I wonder what it is that's upsetting Solaris.  Could you maybe dd off
the first 512 bytes of that disk (ie, the label sector) and mail it to
me?  I'd be interested....

> Mounting a Solaris UFS partition readonly in NetBSD, btw., only got me
> /mnt: bad dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry
> '-- ick.'

Ick, indeed.  I wonder how it thought the entry was mangled.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign