Subject: Re: NetBSD <-> Solaris 8 disklabel compatibility?
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/11/2002 12:45:38
In some email I received from Hauke Fath, sie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> now that I have adsl and do not need isdn support any more, I am
> planning to move my ss10 from Solaris 8 over to NetBSD. Unfortunately,
> while NetBSD has no problem reading the partition table aka disklabel
> created by Solaris, Solaris 8 pretends not to see the NetBSD created
> disklabel.

I have noticed the same thing.  The problem appears to be that NetBSD
does something to the disklabel which makes Solaris format(8) not think
it is a valid disklabel.  This is the only problem I have found as you
can still mount Solaris partitions from Solaris8 and otherwise generally
use it as normal.

> This leads to the question: What compatibility is left between
> NetBSD-current and Solaris when it comes to filesystems? Can I change
> a disklabel of NetBSD origin so that Solaris accepts it (the goal here
> would be a dual boot machine)? Can I access filesystems (I do not use
> acls)?

See above.  I don't know about sharing filesystems - ie using sd0g for
both Solaris & NetBSD.

Darren