Subject: Re: NetBSD <-> Solaris 8 disklabel compatibility?
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/10/2002 16:30:48
	Hello.  In my experience, NetBSD can read Solaris disk labels and
filesystems, but not vice versa.  So, it's easy to migrate over to NetBSD, but
not so easy to migrate back.
-Brian
On May 11, 11:13am, Hauke Fath wrote:
} Subject: NetBSD <-> Solaris 8 disklabel compatibility?
} Hi,
}
} now that I have adsl and do not need isdn support any more, I am
} planning to move my ss10 from Solaris 8 over to NetBSD. Unfortunately,
} while NetBSD has no problem reading the partition table aka disklabel
} created by Solaris, Solaris 8 pretends not to see the NetBSD created
} disklabel.
}
} This leads to the question: What compatibility is left between
} NetBSD-current and Solaris when it comes to filesystems? Can I change
} a disklabel of NetBSD origin so that Solaris accepts it (the goal here
} would be a dual boot machine)? Can I access filesystems (I do not use
} acls)?
}
} 	       hauke
}