Subject: Re: JavaStation update
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/09/2002 02:07:07
On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 23:47:37 +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:

> Did I read this wrong or is this all a stupid workaround for the fact that
> stock Xsun does not have a configurable keyboard protocol/does not work with
> wskbd?

Xsun knows nothing about wskbd.

Xsun *does* support XKB, it's just that there's no XKB definition of
Type5/US101A keyboard, as far as I can tell.

> It pretty stupid to pull such tricks just because Xsun implies sun
> keyboard.

Well, the other important part of the equation is that sparc is not
converted to wscons yet, so its console driver needs to be talked to
in specific ways.  Pretending to be a Sun keyboard in the PS/2 middle
layer allows me to let the common upper layer to talk to console
driver.

> One better way to solve this would be to (a) fix the security issues
> involved with xfree and then (b) use XFree and one of its loadable
> sun display modules (which would give us acceleration on some cards
> as well).

I haven't checked what shape XFree's Xsun is in, but I pretty much
expect its keyboard support to be no different from X.Org's Xsun.

Of course there's that call to convert sparc to use wscons - that's
why I have doubts whether this code should be committed at all.  We
could convert sparc to wscons and get PS/2 support "for free".  But
for now it's just less work to shuffle existing code around a bit to
let in a new middle layer for sparc kbd dirver and use exising
framebuffer drivers, kbd/ms drivers, console driver and X server.

While I'm at it, even if we convert sparc to wscons, do you folks
think that firm events should be kept around for compatibility?  Any
apps that use that interface besides Xsun and mgr?

SY, Uwe