Subject: Re: pinout ss2 memoryboard cable
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/07/2002 10:18:46
> does someone have the pinout of the cable that connects the SS2
> memory expansion board to the motherboard (part no. 530-1814)?

Yes.  The pinout is trivial; it just connects corresponding pins on the
two connectors (which are both dual-row headers with some small number
of rows - five, I think?).

What's nontrivial is getting the cable oriented correctly.  In the case
of my hardware, there's no orientation aid on either end.  Of course,
reversing both ends doesn't hurt, but reversing only one isn't too
great.  Here's a message to suns-at-home from a few weeks ago about
this very point:

+----------------
| From suns-at-home-admin@net-kitchen.com  Tue Apr 16 08:01:08 2002
| From: "Peter Cleary" <petercleary@sympatico.ca>
| To: <suns-at-home@net-kitchen.com>
| Subject: RE: [Suns-at-Home] mbus cpus
| Sender: suns-at-home-admin@net-kitchen.com
| Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:01:13 -0400
|
| On that cable for the 32meg sbus card (SS2)... I got in touch with der Mouse
| who has one. He was kind enough to allow me to see it and help figure it
| out. The card is working in my SS2 right now with a home made cable.
| Basically the cable is straight through. ie. pin 1 to pin 1 etc. I have
| pictures at the moment and will be doing another rev of the cable with
| straight ribbon w/o a break in the middle. Once done I'll try to document it
| for a FAQ (w/ or w/o der Mouse depending on his schedule). Regardless due
| credit will be given to him.
|
| -Pete

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign