Subject: Re: SparcStation ipx versus Sparc Classic
To: PORT-SPARC <Port-SPARC@NetBSD.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@GCI-Net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/06/2002 10:55:19
> "Rick Kelly" <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
> Greg A. Woods said:
>
> >> (sigh... when are we going to have an Open Hardware revolution?)
>
> >I'd be happy with just an OpenFirmware implementation for common
> >"IBM-PC" class machines....  :-)
>
> Since Microsoft basically controls the architecture of "IBM-PC" class
> machines. don't expect that to happen soon.

Worse yet -- since "consumers" (The Unwashed Masses  :>) *buy*
the damn things, don't expect it to happen EVER!  :-(

> In fact, not long ago Microsoft was awarded a series of patents for a
> PC that would only run Microsoft software. ( and just by coincidence
> would support the provisions of the CDBTPA )
>
> I expect that the Intel PC will morph into whatever Billy Gates thinks

s/ate/oat/

:>

> the next big thing will be.
>
> Which is why I own a lot more Sun sparc boxes than Intel.

Yes.  Unfortunately, it's usually far easier to get lots of MIPS
on an x86 box (per currency unit) than other platforms.  I
recently started porting an application to NetBSD/SPARC and
quickly decided to switch that to FreeBSD/x86 simply due to
the availability of faster x86 boxes here (fastest SPARC I have
is an LX -- or maybe the SS2?).

<shrug>