Subject: Re: SparcStation ipx versus Sparc Classic
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/05/2002 14:52:34
Greg A. Woods said:

>> (sigh... when are we going to have an Open Hardware revolution?)

>I'd be happy with just an OpenFirmware implementation for common
>"IBM-PC" class machines....  :-)

Since Microsoft basically controls the architecture of "IBM-PC" class
machines. don't expect that to happen soon.

In fact, not long ago Microsoft was awarded a series of patents for a
PC that would only run Microsoft software. ( and just by coincidence
would support the provisions of the CDBTPA )

I expect that the Intel PC will morph into whatever Billy Gates thinks
the next big thing will be.

Which is why I own a lot more Sun sparc boxes than Intel.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com