Subject: Re: SparcStation ipx versus Sparc Classic
To: PORT-SPARC <Port-SPARC@NetBSD.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@GCI-Net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/04/2002 20:40:38
> "Greg A. Woods" <woods@weird.com> wrote:

> [ On Friday, May 3, 2002 at 05:27:25 (-0700), Don Yuniskis wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: SparcStation ipx versus Sparc Classic
> >
> > "Charles Shannon Hendrix" <shannon@widomaker.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > That used to happen on SS1 machines, and I think we just wired a
resistor
> > > in there, but it never bothers my SS5's at all.
> > >
> > > When did this stop happening on the Sun workstations?
> >
> > If that is indeed the case, a better question would be "Why?"
>
> because sun fixed their serial port design?

Ah, does that mean it was BROKEN?  Gee, all this talk about the
"external devices" being at fault...   :>

> > (ie. and how do we mimic the behavior)
>
> replace the RS-232 drivers on your motherboard and use only "approved"
> terminal devices....

I suspect folks doing this will note no change in results.  For those
using PC's/laptops, I imagine the "solution" would be a pulldown
on the input to the driver -- since it is undoubtedly being driven
from a Combo and floats until the Combo is configured by the
BIOS.

> (and at least make sure if your machine is a model with selectable
> signal levels that you've selected true RS-232 levels....)

Done when I first prepped the box for service...  give me *some*
credit!  :>