Subject: re: Problems with quad ethernet card
To: None <jdc@coris.demon.co.uk, mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/04/2002 22:35:50
|    > For the Ultra 1 machines, this isn't quite right.  The Enterprise models
|    > are the same as the Creator models, except that they shipped without a
|    > video card.  Ultra 1 machines (no Enterprise or Creator) have 10MBit
|    > ethernet, Fast SCSI-2, and 3 SBus slots.
|
|    Hmm, the machine I have on my desk at work has a "Ultra Enterprise 1" badge
|    on the front, but fits your description of a plain Ultra 1.  It's a fairly
|    early model too - 143Mhz and shipped with a cgsix (I think it's a tgx).
|

| i think mine says "netra1" on the front, but it's a plain
| original slow ultra1 too... :)

Sigh.  Let's try to kill this discussion.

There were basically two models of U1 produced.  The Neutron had 3 SBus slots
ahd used Macio which had an esp200 and le, and the Electron had 3 SBus and one
UPA slot and used FEPS which has HME and FAS.  The Neutron came with 143 and
176MHz CPUs, while the Electon had a choice of 143, 176, and 200MHz processors.

They also came in 3 different packages.  The standard desktop Neutron had
`Ultra 1' on the label.  The Electron had `Ultra1 Creator' or `Ultra1 Creator 3D'.

The machines were also packaged as servers.  These did not come with a standard
video card and were labeled `Enterprise' machines to match the larger servers.

There were also machines that were packaged with specially tuned versions of
Solaris as NFS and web servers and were labeled `Netra's.

I beleive some firmware versions on the Electron labeled it as an `Ultra-1E'.
But the only way you can really tell them apart is to look at the firmware
tree and check for HME and FAS vs. ESP and LE.

Eduardo