Subject: Re: SparcStation ipx versus Sparc Classic
To: PORT-SPARC <Port-SPARC@NetBSD.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/04/2002 16:28:43
On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 09:13:21AM -0700, Don Yuniskis wrote:

> You missed the point.  I don't *use* serial consoles because THEY are
> problematic (for these reasons).  So, turning off the oscillator in the
> "clock chip" means I have to drag out a device to act as a serial console
> *just* for the purpose of shutting off the oscillator.

For what it's worth, I have a DEC vt510 terminal, and can plug and unplug
at will from both of my Sun SS5 machines.  I'm fairly certain the vt310
behaves the same way, but I ran out of room for it and it's sitting idle.
These terminals are dirt cheap now.

The only serial problems I have with NetBSD is the shell prompts are
still garbled.  I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why, and
while sometimes I thought I had it down, I was never convinced that any
one suggested problem was really the cause.

It's annoying as hell that I can run perfectly with Linux and Solaris
at up to 76800 to either of my DEC terminals, and NetBSD spews garbage
in my prompts. :(

Ideally I'd have a terminal server, but they are expensive.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com