Subject: Re: Problems with quad ethernet card
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc@linuxweasel.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/03/2002 11:22:10
On Fri, 2002-05-03 at 11:06, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 12:28 PM +0200 2002/05/03, de SAINT LEGER Rodolphe wrote:
>
> >>  | mainbus0 (root): SUNW,Ultra-1
> >>
> >>  It's not a 1E.
> >
> >  Sorry, I thought that the 1E means 1 Enterprise :(
> >  (because I own an Ultra-1 Enterprise)
>
> 	That would more accurately be referred to as a UE1, as in Ultra
> Enterprise 1.  You don't need the U when referring to more modern
> UltraSPARC based servers (such as the E250, a.k.a.., UE250), because
> there is no earlier model that could potentially have a similar and
> confusing name.
>
> 	IIRC, the "Enterprise" bit simply means that the machine is
> configured more as a server than as a desktop workstation, so it will
> tend to have a less powerful video card installed (if any), etc....

For the Ultra 1 machines, this isn't quite right.  The Enterprise models
are the same as the Creator models, except that they shipped without a
video card.  Ultra 1 machines (no Enterprise or Creator) have 10MBit
ethernet, Fast SCSI-2, and 3 SBus slots.  The Creator/Enterprise models
have 10/100Mbit Ethernet, Fast-Wide SCSI-2, 2 SBus slots and 1 UPA slot,
for a creator graphics card.

For what it's worth, on my Ultra 1 Creator running Solaris 8, uname -i
reports it as "SUNW,Ultra-1", even though it has FW SCSI and 100MBit
ethernet.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.