Subject: Re: SparcStation ipx versus Sparc Classic
To: PORT-SPARC <Port-SPARC@NetBSD.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/03/2002 11:36:20
On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 05:27:25AM -0700, Don Yuniskis wrote:

> > > The damn "BREAK" detect makes this problematic for me.
> > > I have a notebook set up just for serial console duty.  But, just
> > > the act of plugging it in to the SPARC's serial port usually is
> > > enough to glitch the SPARC to stop it in it's tracks.
> >
> > Hmmm... I unplug my consoles and move them all the time, sharing one among
> > SS5's and none of them detect break and hang.
>
> It is largely a function of the device being plugged into/outof the SS.
> I have no firsthand experience with 5's so can't comment if the boot
> ROMs handle this any different.

Ah... OK.  Then again, I've used the same device on machines that go to
console and my SS5's.  Go figure.

> > That used to happen on SS1 machines, and I think we just wired a resistor
> > in there, but it never bothers my SS5's at all.
> >
> > When did this stop happening on the Sun workstations?
>
> If that is indeed the case, a better question would be "Why?"
> (ie. and how do we mimic the behavior)

Actually, I was wrong above: we didn't put in a resistor, we actually
used a little dongle that fooled it into thinking a terminal was present.
I didn't make it, so I don't know what was in it.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com