Subject: Re: SparcStation ipx versus Sparc Classic
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/03/2002 10:30:48
>>> And, very few have heads on them so dragging out a keyboard/monitor
>>> just to preserve a dying (and REPLACEABLE!) resource seems too much
>>> effort for me...
>> Oh, heavens, I just use serial console for that stuff.
> The damn "BREAK" detect makes this problematic for me.
[...]
> And, of course, the wonderful ambiguity of having to configure them
> either to support a genuine console [...] ttys(5).

Neither break-detect nor ttys(5) is relevant to using serial console to
stop the machine's clock prior to mothballing it.  You're turning it
off anyway, so you don't care if plugging it in drops into ddb or the
ROM monitor, and you aren't _booting_ it from serial console, so it
doesn't matter what the OS thinks.

>> Depending on how much of its life it's had Vcc applied for, and what
>> temperatures it's been at, the datasheet contains formulas for
>> working out its expected lifetime (page 18 in the 08/18 datasheet,
> My databook is out in the garage -- which closely resembles Mr.
> Whoopie's (sp?) closet...  :-(

As I think I mentioned, I have PDF files of the datasheets, which I'll
be happy to send to anyone who wants copies - or you can fetch them
yourself, if they're still there; I got them from
http://eu.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/2410.pdf and .../2411.pdf.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign