Subject: Re: which ultra to use as wks
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/24/2002 18:42:21
Martin Husemann said:

>Hmm, I'll be flamed to death, but I have to tell you the truth: they all
>suck.

I guess it all depends in how you go at setting a Ultra up.

>Any sparc64 hardware is either completely lame (expensive RAM, *extremly*
>slow IDE, ...), features no PCI bus, or is prohibitively expensive.

www.memoryx.net - some reasonable memory prices

Yes, screw IDE, Sun should sell a Sunblade 100 without the drive. Throw in
a $50 Symbios SCSI controller and an external drive, and install NetBSD.
You could probably also throw in an ATI or whatever video card and run X.

>If you have been in the sparc camp for some time, you may be able to live
>with SBUS instead of PCI. In that case, I'd go for a dual U2 and start
>working on sparc64 SMP support ;-)

I've been looking at http://www.apcom.com/index.html

I've bought refurbished sparc stuff from them before with good luck.

They have systems based on the Sun Ultra AXi and AXe motherboards.

AXi=SCSI and AXe=IDE.

They have a brand new AXe system with 300Mhz, 128megs, ATI SVGA, and a
9gig disk for $580. It has a 1 year warranty.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com