Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/24/2002 21:21:23
On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 10:05:09PM +0200, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 08:46:21PM +0100, Andrew Grillet wrote:
> > On Wednesday 24 April 2002 18:23, you wrote:
> > > [ On Wednesday, April 24, 2002 at 14:14:14 (+0100), David Laight

> > > I don't see why that has to be true.  In the past I've done checkouts
> > > that large on a 28.8kbps modem and never lost the connection.  Indeed
> > > my 28.8k connection used to stay up for literally hundreds of days at
> > > a time, and often it only reset because I (or the guy at the other
> > > end ;-) wanted it to, not because the connection was lost.  Now that
> > > was a local telephone call, and within a fairly large city with good
> > > telephone services, but still.....
> > >
> > Here in the UK, dial-up ISPs disconnect you after 2 hours - its called
> > "unlimited access". This is part of British Telecom's policy of trying
> > to prevent the spread of the Internet.
>
> I live in the UK, have used dialup for over 7 years, and have never
> been disconnected from my ISP after 2 hours. If you use the "free"
> services - well, you get what you pay for. I have lots of other
> gripes about one of the ISPs we use, but disconnection isn't one
> of them.

It generally depends whether you are paying for the phone calls.
If you pay for the calls your ISP gets a portion of the phone charge.
If you just pay a fixed fee for 'unlimited' [1] access they typically
cut you off after around 2 hours - but you can redial (and get a
different IP address).

[1] BT beat you up if you connect for more that 16 hours in any 24.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk