Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/24/2002 13:23:26
[ On Wednesday, April 24, 2002 at 14:14:14 (+0100), David Laight wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
>
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 02:52:12PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately when you're using module aliases in the way we do with the
> > NetBSD repository it's critical to start from scratch any time a
> > checkout fails in the middle somewhere (unless you know exactly how to
> > verify its integrity and fill in any missing bits).  That's something
> > that really should be documented too I guess...
>
> Unfortunately that isn't acceptable :-)

So, you're going to submit a complete re-design proposal for the CVS
modules handling internals?  I look forward to it!  :-)

> It is possible to pull the full cvs tree in over a 56k modem, but
> it definitely will take soo long you will lose the connection
> at some point.

I don't see why that has to be true.  In the past I've done checkouts
that large on a 28.8kbps modem and never lost the connection.  Indeed my
28.8k connection used to stay up for literally hundreds of days at a
time, and often it only reset because I (or the guy at the other end ;-)
wanted it to, not because the connection was lost.  Now that was a local
telephone call, and within a fairly large city with good telephone
services, but still.....

> A cvs update will complete the process - provided you have the
> root of each cvs tree present.

"root of each cvs module used in the alias" -- yes, that's true.

> Maybe someone should generate a tar file that contains just
> enough that cvs update will populate the tree completely.

Why not just the complete tar files!?!?!?

After all we're only talking about converting from one branch to another
(or in extremely rare cases, surviving another repository reorg... :-).
All I'm saying is people should not try to do that unless they
understand the minute details of how it all works with CVS and they are
prepared to validate the result and manually repair any broken bits.

If there were source tars with proper anon-CVS settings in their
CVS/Root and CVS/Repository files, for every active branch including the
trunk, created regularly then all users have to do is learn to start
with the correct set of archives.  If I'm not mistaken that's pretty
much the state of affairs today:

	pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-release-1-4/tar_files/src
	pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-release-1-5/tar_files/src
	pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src

Yup, they're all there (except xsrc, but it's not branched or made up of
sub-modules via an alias module so there's no issue with it).  Starting
with unpacking those files is essentially equivalent to doing a fresh
checkout.

--
								Greg A. Woods