Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/24/2002 01:05:28
At 11:09 PM +0200 2002/04/23, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

>  Isn't the URL enouth ?

	Nope.  Let's look:

	Go to <http://www.netbsd.org/>.  Click on "Documentation and
FAQs".  This takes you to <http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/>.
Click on "The NetBSD Guide" at the top of the page.  This takes you
to <http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/#netbsd-guide>.

	From there, you click on the human language and format (HTML or
Postscript) that you want.  Note that English, French, Italian, and
Portugese (HTML and Postscript) are hosted underneath
<http://www.mclink.it/personal/MG2508/>, but the Japanese, Chinese,
and German (HTML only) versions are hosted elsewhere.

	At this point, to an uneducated outsider, it simply looks like
the documentation was created by the NetBSD team, but translations to
other languages may have been done by other people, or are otherwise
hosted at other sites.

	To me, all this still looks like it's an official part of the
NetBSD documentation.  Especially since virtually all the FAQs,
HOWTOS, and other miscellaneous documentation on this page appears to
be hosted and maintained by the NetBSD team (and is further down the
list than "The NetBSD Guide"), with only the stuff at the very, very
bottom (seven links) obviously pointing to other projects.

>  If it points outside the NetBSD.org domain it's not maintainted by the NetBSD
>  project.

	If you want people to understand that this is not official NetBSD
documentation, then you need to make sure that the title is something
like "Federico's NetBSD Guide" in every place that it is referenced
on the NetBSD website, so that it is patently clear that this is
documentation written by someone else and is not owned or maintained
by the NetBSD team.

	Moreover, you should also segregate all "Official NetBSD"
documentation from "NetBSD Documentation from Other Sources", either
by placing only the official stuff at the top and then some sort of
divider line, or by having totally separate pages.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>