Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/21/2002 13:40:22
[ On Sunday, April 21, 2002 at 15:01:55 (+0200), Brad Knowles wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
>
> At 8:20 PM -0400 2002/04/20, Geoff Adams wrote:
>
> >  The 'cvs login' part looks good.
> >
> >  After that, you'll need to cd into your src directory.
>
> 	This is contrary to the "How to Update with CVS" documentation
> that I have found in chapter 18.1 in the NetBSD Guide, which in HTML
> form in the English language, is located at
> <http://www.mclink.it/personal/MG2508/nbsdeng/chap-cvs.html#AEN4890>.
> Specifically, it says:
>
> | To get the sources from scratch without having anything in /usr/src
> |
> | % setenv CVSROOT :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
> | % cd /usr
> | % cvs login
> | password: anoncvs
> | % cvs checkout -rnetbsd-1-5 -PA src
> |
> | Or do it by ssh, so that the data is encrypted:
> |
> | % setenv CVS_RSH ssh
> | % setenv CVSROOT anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
> | % cd /usr
> | % cvs checkout -rnetbsd-1-5 -PA src
> |
> | This will fetch the source from the 1.5 release branch. To obtain
> | the current source just omit "-rnetbsd-1-5" in the last line.
>
> 	In my examples, I was starting from the /usr directory, as
> specified in the instructions.

The documentation is correct however it does not describe your
scenario.  You have something in /usr/src -- it clearly says "without
having anything in /usr/src".  You're (hopefully) running "cvs update",
but the documentation you quote above talks about "cvs checkout".

"cvs checkout src" creates the directory 'src' and puts stuff in it.

"cvs update" needs to be run from within a directory created by 'cvs
checkout'.

--
								Greg A. Woods