Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/19/2002 17:43:24
On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 05:35:45PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 1:49 PM +0200 2002/04/19, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> >  Hum, that shound't be the case here, there was not much anoncvs activity, and
> >  I didn't put any restriction on the server.
> >  Maybe you should remove your $HOME/.cvspass
>
> 	Looking at the contents of the .cvspass file, I see that I was
> using the wrong URL on the French CVS mirror server.  I was using the
> same path as on the Austrian and main NetBSD CVS servers (:/cvsroot),
> instead of the site-specific path that is appropriate for the French
> site (:/pub/NetBSD-CVS).  I think that was the real problem.

Yes, it's possible. I should eventually change the cvs wrapper
program to allow both paths.

> >  Well, I think you didn't extract enouth .tar.gz files. You should extract
> >  *all* the files in /pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src/
>
> 	Ahh.  That I was not aware of.  I had only pulled down the
> share.tar.gz tarball, and figured that I could pull down the rest of
> the files via CVS.  So, after pulling down all the tarballs and
> extracting them, do I then do a CVS update as opposed attempting to
> pull down all files via CVS?

Yes, it should work. You can either:
- extract all tarballs and then do a cvs update, or
- get the sources via a 'cvs checkout src'. The src module is an alias which
  will pull down all required modules.

> 	Again, this is a step that doesn't seem to be discussed anywhere
> in any of the documentation I've found.

I don't think mixing tar balls and cvs is documented. The checkout method
is documented in http://www2.fr.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#using-anoncvs