Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/19/2002 11:43:43
At 11:04 AM +0200 2002/04/19, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

>>  	I followed your advice, and got the share.tar.gz file, which I
>>  extracted under /usr/src.  I then got the very latest sources via CVS
>>  (which was tough -- I still had the same problem with the German
>>  site, the French site wouldn't let me log in, and I had a lot of
>
>  How would't it let you log in ?

	It was exactly the same error that I had previously had with the
main CVS server in the US.  IIRC, you had suggested that this might
be because too many people were currently logged in (which makes
sense).

	I did manage to get logged into the server in Austria, and I'm
very glad that I have more than one choice of servers here in Europe
that are not too far away and that have good network connectivity.

	Now, if only we could get the problems with the German site
fixed, so that I could at least occasionally log in there.  ;-(

>  I think you'll also have to edit src/CVS/Entries to add an entry for the
>  share directory:
>  D/share////

	Certainly, although I got further than I had previously gotten,
there is still something wrong:

# /build.sh -D /etc/tmp/destdir
===> Bootstrapping nbmake
checking for gcc... cc
checking for executable suffix...

		[ ... deletia ... ]

cc  -O -DHAVE_SETENV=1 -DHAVE_STRDUP=1 -DHAVE_STRERROR=1
-DHAVE_STRFTIME=1 -DHAVE_VSNPRINTF=1  -DMAKE_BOOTSTRAP
-I/u/src/tools/make/../../usr.bin/make -c
/u/src/tools/make/../../usr.bin/make/lst.lib/lstSucc.c
cc  -O -o nbmake *.o
===> DESTDIR path: /etc/tmp/destdir
===> TOOLDIR path: /u/src/tools/obj/tools.NetBSD-1.5.2-sparc
Build started at: Fri Apr 19 10:41:49 CEST 2002
rm -f METALOG
cleandir ===> tools
cleandir ===> tools/host-mkdep
rm -f a.out [Ee]rrs mklog core *.core     config.cache config.log
config.status host-mkdep
cleandir ===> tools/compat
rm -r -f include
rm -f config.cache config.h

		[ ... deletia ... ]

cleandir ===> tools/config
nbmake: "/u/src/tools/config/../Makefile.host" line 26: Could not
find /u/src/tools/config/../../usr.sbin/config/Makefile
nbmake: Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

nbmake: stopped in /u/src/tools/config
*** Error code 1

Stop.
nbmake: stopped in /u/src/tools
*** Error code 1

Stop.
nbmake: stopped in /u/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
nbmake: stopped in /u/src

	Now, I'm not sure if I have backtracked enough and properly
followed the chain of ".." entries in the path, but I certainly don't
have a /u/src/usr.sbin/config subdirectory.  There is a
/u/src/src/usr.sbin/config subdirectory, but I'm not sure if that's
supposed to be the same thing.

	I've decided that this system is way too seriously munged to
continue.  I'm going to rm -rf /usr/src and try pulling everything
down all over again.  There's just been way too much "why don't you
try this" and "well then, why don't you try this other thing" and I
really don't think that this machine is anywhere close to anything
remotely resembling a sufficiently clean configuration for this kind
of process to continue.

	This is going to take many hours to clean up.  When I'm done and
I've re-downloaded everything I know of, I'll post another message to
the list.  Don't be surprised if you don't hear from me until
sometime in the middle of next week, as I do have some other projects
I'm also trying to work on.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>