Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/17/2002 21:37:11
On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Brad Knowles wrote:

: 	Okay, I just finished updating the sources (I started around Tue,
: 16 Apr 2002 20:47:30 +0200, so this process has taken about eight
: hours).  Unfortunately, I still have the same problem:

: cc  -O -o nbmake *.o
: nbmake: "/u/src/tools/Makefile" line 41: Malformed conditional
: (${MKTOOLS:Uyes} == "no" || ${USETOOLS} != "yes")

I think you're missing the src/share/mk directory.  Are you updating by cvs,
and if so, did your original "cvs checkout" die midstream?  Or did you
forget to get "share.tar.gz" from the tar_files before updating to the
latest sources?

If so, it's possible that you never got "share", and a "cvs update" will not
resurrect it (because of a rather Magical way in which the CVS tree is
assembled).  You can either do a "cvs checkout" from scratch, or fetch
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/share.tar.gz and
extract that into your source directory.

: 	Unfortunately, I don't grok Makefile syntax, so I couldn't really
: tell you what this section of the file does, or what is wrong with
: it.  Removing the line "USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN=yes" from /etc/mk.conf, I
: get back to the original problem:

: cc  -O -o nbmake *.o
: ERROR: build.sh (new toolchain) is not yet enabled for

This is actually a different symptom of the same problem; here, it is not
seeing the USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN setting that's supposed to be set
automagically.

You don't need to set any of USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN, MKTOOLS, or USETOOLS in
/etc/mk.conf.  All of these default to "yes" for sparc.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/