Subject: Old memory?
From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/11/2002 20:17:12
From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Bcc:
Folks,

	I'm in the process of trying to upgrade the memory on the
Twinhead Twinstation 5G (Sun SPARCstation 5 clone) that I bought a
few months ago (and onto which I have recently installed NetBSD
1.5.2), and I was wondering if anyone on the list could help me out
with figuring out the type of memory it requires.  I've done some
searching online, and I've looked at the memory modules that are
currently installed.

	I know that it uses 72-pin SIMMs (maximum of 32MB in size,
according to the page at
<http://www.sunrise.com.pl/english/frames/wstn_5g.html>), and looking
at the SIMMs that are currently installed, I note that they are very
tall, with a total of eight surface-mount memory chips and one SOJ
mount memory chip (although I'm not sitting in front of the machine
at the moment, so I don't have the chip part numbers, nor can I give
you a diagram of the layout).

	Based on this, and the age of the machine, I figure that the
memory in question is probably fast page mode (FPM) with parity
(hence the 9th chip), and by looking at the part numbers on the chip
(ending with a -6), I figure that it is 60ns.  Searching on the 'net,
I find relatively few places with this kind of memory, and none of
them seem to be in Europe or ship to Europe.

	Does anyone have any thoughts as to good places where I could buy
this kind of stuff?  We have local used parts sales places (on the
shady side of town), and I bought some 32MB 72-pin SIMMs at one of
the shops there that I thought would be good.  However, at best
guess, I think these things are EDO (which I'm not sure hurts or
helps), but they certainly don't have parity, and they don't seem to
work in the machine.

	Also, does anyone have any thoughts on what kinds of SCSI-2 disks
I could buy that would be relatively large in capacity, relatively
high speed, and relatively reliable?  It's been so long since I did
anything with systems this old that I don't remember what kinds of
drives from this era were reliable, and what kinds of speeds and
capacities would be available.

	AdvThanksance!

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>