Subject: Re: NetBSD and UPS ?
To: None <chris@dejection.org.uk>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/11/2002 12:11:01
> Any pointers to information regarding using a UPS (APC pref - model/manf.
> suggestions required) with NetBSD, especially with emphasis on the sparc
> platform would be gratefully recieved.  I hear nasty things about special
> serial cables and not working with some serial ports and things like that.
> Call me paranoid, but I'd rather ask someone who has a working sparc
> configuration before experimenting.

Yes, all those stories are true ;-)

I have a sparc LX connected to an APC 420 UPS. I made my own cable since
I wanted the dual-connector on the LX to drive both the serial console
connection and the UPS. I do not remember whether I measured the original
cable or used one of the shematics on www.nullmodem.com.

The special cable is special in that it uses some different pins for standard
RS232 signals. There is no magic involved.

I use sysutils/ups-nut from pkgsrc to controll the UPS, since the UPS powers
my shark as well and this pkg made network setup realy easy.

Martin